Ninety-three days. It had been 93 days since Kevin Durant didn’t score at least 25 points.
And the only person that could stop him in his torrid run of scoring? Himself.
Durant sat the entire fourth quarter on Tuesday, scoring 23 against the Kings in 31 minutes. He said he wanted the streak to end, and he got his wish. It ended at 41 games, one more than Michael Jordan, five fewer than Oscar Robertson and 65 fewer than Wilt Chamberlain.
When Durant’s streak started way back on Jan. 7, Florida State had just been crowned national champions, the Winter Olympics were still more than a month away from starting, Crimea was still part of Ukraine, Her and Lone Survivor were about to be released in theaters, “The Monster” was the No. 1 song, and the NFL was still in Wildcard Weekend.
At 41 games, Durant had a streak of games scoring at least 25 for half his season. We went from winter to spring during the thing for crap’s sake.
A couple notable things from it:
- Averaged 34.8 points on 51.5/39.5/86.5 with 7.0 rebounds and 6.1 assists in 39.3 minutes
- Had 29 30-point games during it
- Had 11 40-point games during it
- Had two 50-point games during it
- The Thunder went 27-14 during it
- Within the 25-point streak, Durant also had a 12-game 30-point streak that likewise ended when Durant sat the entire fourth quarter against the Nets
- Durant sat seven fourth quarters
- He had 14 double-doubles and two triple-doubles
- The latest Durant ever got his 25th point was with 1:02 left in the fourth against the Rockets last week
- Durant’s scoring by quarter: 9.7, 7.4, 10.4, 8.0.
- Best game is probably up for serious debate, but these are three candidates during the streak: 54 on 19-28 shooting with six assists against the Warriors, 46 on 17-25 shooting (6-7 from 3) against the Blazers and 41 on 12-22 shooting with 10 rebounds and nine assists against the Knicks. Yeah, I’m leaving off his incredible 51-point game against the Raptors, because that’s how damn good KD is. A 51-12-7 game doesn’t crack the top three.
- Despite scoring 25 points in 41 consecutive freaking games, Durant only had one game with fewer than three assists and 12 with fewer than five. That’s maybe one of the more impressive things about it all.
- He’s still scored at least 20 in 50 straight games. New streak!