The Thunder already have a set roster and while conversations with James Harden and Serge Ibaka are set to start happening very soon, there are roster spots to be filled. Three players are unrestricted free agents: Nazr Mohammed, Derek Fisher and Royal Ivey.
One has to go to make room for draft pick Perry Jones III. But two could stay, or they could be replaced by new faces. Which leads to a couple free agency rumors to pass along involving the Thunder:
- According to Alex Kennedy of HoopsWorld, Devin Ebanks is drawing interest from the Thunder, Magic, Hawks, 76ers and Nets. The Lakers extended Ebanks a qualifying offer last week meaning he’s a restricted free agent. Ebanks, 22, was taken in the second round by the Lakers in 2010, and is a lengthy, athletic 6-9 wing defender. He has upside and potential, and could be a solid fit for minutes behind KD as well as give the Thunder a little extra versatility with matchups. However, Thunder fans do have this lasting image of him, which isn’t great.
- According to Chris Broussard of ESPN.com, the Thunder, along with the Wizards and Hornets, have expressed some interest in Roger Mason. After an extremely productive year in San Antonio, Mason has tailed off seeing only 13.4 minutes a game in Washington last season. But he’s still a quality shooter, hitting 38.3 percent of his 3s last season. He’s 31 and could fill a veteran role on the Thunder bench, as well as provide OKC another NBPA spokesman on the team (Mason is a VP for the union). Maybe the Thunder replace Royal Ivey with Mason, but I’m not sure that makes as much sense. Mason is a shooter, and doesn’t do it all that much better than Daequan Cook. How u.
- It’s sounding very likely that Hasheem Thabeet will sign with the Thunder once the free agent moratorium is lifted on July 11. The 7-3 big man is in Oklahoma City, or at least was, and depending on contract talks, he could be added soon. Which means Nazr Mohammed likely will move on down the road.
- On the Derek Fisher front, the Thunder are one of a few teams interested in him, along with the Bulls, Heat and Mavericks, according to ESPN Chicago.
- Something maybe to read into: At Scott Brooks presser today, Sam Presti specifically mentioned Serge Ibaka and James Harden when talking about discussing their extensions. He did not, however, mention Eric Maynor. I wonder if there will even be an extension offer made.
- Also, nothing so far on Andrey Vorentsevich. The Thunder officially could enter negotiations with him starting July 1.
- Darnell Mayberry reports that Daniel Orton could be a potential free agent target for OKC.