Well, I am glad that’s over.
It wasn’t the most entertaining game in the world that’s for sure. It was a lot of running around, turning the ball over, getting beat on the boards and knuckle ball jump shots. I guess the explanation was that it is just summer league, but I have to admit it was a bit of a letdown after some of the good play on display last week in Orlando.
Anyway, I don’t want to get too down about this. The summer league is a tool first and foremost. It lets the coaching staff see how the new guys play with and against their peers. It gives them starting points to work on with these players.
Some random observations:
- None of the “regulars” got big minutes. Harden, White and Ibaka all got less than 20 minutes, and Westbrook and Livingston got less than 25.
- The Turnovers as a team were really pretty bad. It was a lot of sloppy plays and disjointed offensive execution. Russell was the “reckless” Russell that we see sometimes; driving into traffic and getting swarmed and swiped. He had 4 turns in 23 minutes. By my notes, two were his fault, two were not.
- Ibaka was knuckleballing most of his shots tonight, but he’s been very efficient in the Summer league prior to tonight. He airballed a two foot hook shot.
- Speaking of Ibaka, I think the team is looking at him with a mind to see if he can get a few garbage minutes at the 5 next year. He’s a real run/jump kind of guy with a nose for the ball around the basket. If the Thunder want to play small/fast for a stretch he could be an option. He can make shots, but he’s not a pick and pop guy like White, Krstic and Mullins.
- D.J. White is a smooth offensive player who never seems to be in a rush, and doesn’t really force anything. He did have four boards in his 17 minutes. Keep Reading…